View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Samsung curved TVs 
Site Moderator

Post Samsung curved TVs
I saw JDs monitor and made me think. Why cant i indulge and have a curved tv?
So im going tonight and looking at Samsungs 65" 4K curved tv at Conns. They have one for 2199.00 plus i have a CC there so i dont have to drain my bank account. I hope its worth it. I Will keep this updated.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44 am
Profile ICQ

Post Re: Samsung curved TVs
From what I heard, curved monitors work, but curved tv are useless. I'll let someone with better knowledge answer the details, but it has to do with viewing angles and viewing distance. At the distance you sit from the tv, the curves of tv help only in a very limited position.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:52 pm
Site Moderator

The curve only helps when you're sitting up close so that it fills your FOV and thus matches the curvature of your eyes. When you're sitting back 10ft+, you won't be getting this "enhanced FOV", rather you're just going to see a slightly concave/curved picture.

It works in movie theaters as well, since the screen is utterly massive, and no matter where you sit, it always fills your FOV and thus the curve is needed for you to see details at the edges of the screen. I don't think 65" is big enough to get that effect in your house, unless you sit really close to it.

Likewise, from any angle but dead center, the curve becomes extremely pronounced and won't be enjoyable to those viewers. It's annoying to use my monitor if I sit off center, like now, I'm slouched down and angled to the side with my feet up, I can see the curve which gives me eyestrain while reading this text :P

That being said, after using my PC for a couple hours and then going to watch TV on a flat screen, it's jarring to say the least.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:27 pm

my two cents is

the curved feature in current day flat screen television is the most useless gimmick. instead of spending the money on R&D research to come up with better image quality, and contrast, and panel technology, they're selling the consumers a feature that has no practical use. for a desktop monitor, it'll be more useful, but as TV, not only it fucks with off angle viewing, you need to stare at the damn thing less than 5 ft away to see the difference a curve TV makes compare to a conventional flat one, even then, the difference is subjectively minimal, if any.

the unfortunate thing is, Samsung reserve all the top image quality feature in 2014~2015 lineup to curved model. that means you can't get hardware local dimming on their regular flat models for 2014~2015 year, you'll have to plunge the big bucks on the curved ones to get hardware local dimming. for that you'll be better off buying a 2013 F model. it has the hardware local dimming, and flat, and it's way more affordable.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 am
Site Moderator

Wow.
Before i even read these replies i stood what seemed like 2 hrs last night looking and staring into those things and just like you say. Only if you are right up on tye screen do you see any benefits. I stood back to about where my recliner would be and i just didnt see anything special. Yes i would love to have a curved monitor but as for curved tv. I'll pass.
I nabbed the Samung 75 inch. UN75H6350 . Not their most expensive but a decent price for that size at 2099.00 I pick it up tonight.
I have seen it cheaper online but something that size i prefer to personally pick it up amd not have it shipped.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:57 am
Profile ICQ

Comixion wrote:
Wow.
Before i even read these replies i stood what seemed like 2 hrs last night looking and staring into those things and just like you say. Only if you are right up on tye screen do you see any benefits. I stood back to about where my recliner would be and i just didnt see anything special. Yes i would love to have a curved monitor but as for curved tv. I'll pass.
I nabbed the Samung 75 inch. UN75H6350 . Not their most expensive but a decent price for that size at 2099.00 I pick it up tonight.
I have seen it cheaper online but something that size i prefer to personally pick it up amd not have it shipped.

that's a great deal! and nice size.

i really want a 80". two years ago i got the top of the line 60 inch samsung, and it's already looking small in my living room. i'll have to wait a couple more years, i already used up my credit with the wife on buying tv. she won't allow it for another couple more years. :lol:

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:13 am
Site Moderator

You tend to get used to the size after a while. If you watch a 60" tv a while then everything seems small. My previous tv was a Sharp 70" yes this one is only 5" larger but i can tell a slight difference. Plus the fact a Samsung panel compared to a Sharp panel. Yes Theres a difference. I dont recall the way it was explained in reviews and the word used to describe the overall visual differences but its quite different.
Also the screen doesnt look near as large in the store as it does when you get it home.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:41 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]