View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Monitor screen preferences 
Site Moderator

Post Monitor screen preferences
Which do you both use and prefer?
Glossy or Matte?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:23 am
Profile ICQ

Post Re: Monitor screen preferences
All the displays I have are matte. This includes the two monitors I have at home and my thinkpad. This semester as my classes don't require me to carry my laptop, I have borrowed my sisters Ipad 2 and I can definitely see the downside to a glossy screen. Not sure if its the scratched up screen protector or that the brightness level isn't always high, but i definitely see glare inside the classroom from the lights above. The deeper contrast and saturation of the glossy display is overshadowed by the glare. Apparently Apple has combated the issue in the newer devices with an extra panel or something. With that said, I still prefer the matte displays over the glossy.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 pm
Site Moderator

I believe what you mean is that newer touchscreens have the touchscreen layer and the LCD panel fused together, so there's no gap between them, which helps with some of the glare. But no matter what, its a piece of glass and it's going to reflect light. This isn't exclusive to Apple by any means either.

If you do most of your work in the dark, or dimly lit areas, then a glossy screen is preferred. You'll get better contrast and saturation. There's no denying that. Whether or not it's "accurate" is a whole different story.

If you are like a normal person and have sunlight around you and have lights on in general, then a matte screen is going to look better and cause less strain on your eyes.

Unfortunately though most things have gone glossy due to the fact that they simply "look" better, especially in a store. They fool you into thinking it has better colours due to the vividness. In terms of mobile devices, it's simply a must as it's the only current way to keep a touchscreen clean easily. Removing fingerprints from a matte screen is a chore.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:12 pm

J, you are correct. By no means is it exclusive to apple. I could probably get away using glossy displays in my current office but with something mobile like a laptop, matte just makes sense. Touch screen is a whole different situation and keeping a matte display clean is hard.

And with me being glued on the computer, I need something with proper contrast and brightness to reduce stress on the eyes.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 am

i am a glossy guy. i like the the effect glossy screen makes your colors and contrast pop.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]