View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Purchased Some New Hardware. 
Site Moderator

Post Re: Purchased Some New Hardware.
Well I got one today, after much reluctance :P

Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, VEVO all work great. Plex requires a PlexPass memeber right now as its still in "beta". Once it's free, I'll try that too.

I had to force re-direct the Google DNS servers on my router though, thankfully that's not too hard with Tomato so that I can use it with UnoDNS (so it looks like I'm in the US).

One question for you, do you get 5.1 sound from it? If so, what content? I have yet to manage that...

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Site Admin

That's pretty cool jdrom that you got it work!

I don't have a 5.1 system so I can't answer that. I only have stereo-left/right.

How do you like the overall experience compared to the other options out there?

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 am
Site Moderator

Im gonna have to check this out as well. I have had my 70" Sharp for a year now and have yet to be able to get it to configure to my wifi. The menu options are extremely confusing. I had no issues with my other tvs but this one is a bitch. Enter these numbers....press this button then configure this....do 3 cartwheels....sheesh. I gave up

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator

Yeah I've found mixed things online about 5.1 audio. I suspect the TV may not be passing it back through to my receiver (Chromecast is plugged into HDMI2 on TV), but the built in Netflix app on the TV transmits 5.1 audio, so I'm not entirely sure. I've read other things that Denon receivers have issues with the Chromecast and 5.1 audio too, but I guess I could still try plugging it in directly. Issue is, I don't have any free HDMI ports on it, unless I move my cable box or one of my consoles off which I don't really want to do...

Even in Netflix, if I press the text-bubble icon to pick audio language/type, only Stereo is listed, no 5.1, even though the video shows watermarks for both HD and 5.1 prior to playing. I tested "Super 8" which is known to have 5.1 as well as "Warehouse 13" which had 5.1 when playing through the TV's Netflix app and neither worked.

It definitely loads a lot faster than the TV's apps. Functionality is roughly the same as I was able to "cast" to the TV prior, but I get Hulu support now along with whatever other apps get added. Thankfully, as soon as I choose to cast on my phone/tablet, the TV switches inputs automatically still, so that's nice.

If it matters, my TV is the Sony KDL-50R550A and receiver is a Denon 1612.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Nataku wrote:
jdrom wrote:
Not at all. Think of it more like the "Smart TV" functions. It just gives you Chrome on your TV really, so you can browse the web and what not.

Here's what it does. It has two major functions.

Function 1). While watching a Video (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, Etc.) On my phone or tablet I can press the "cast" button in the app (the cast button appears in the app any time my iPhones is on the same WiFi network as a Chromecast) and it will pass off the stream from my phone or tablet over to the Chromecast connected to my TV. At that point my Phone or tablet is only acting as the remote control of the device. It's no longer actually streaming the media (the Chromecast is streaming the media). I could even turn off my phone or tablet and the Chromecast would keep streaming since it has taken over control of the stream (however that wouldn't be advised since your phone/tablet is the remote control).

Function 2). You can stream (screen share) anything in a Chrome browser tab on your desktop/laptop to your Chromecast connected to the TV. Using this method still uses the host computer as the source of the stream. And just uses the Chromecast-conntected TV like a cloned secondary monitor (that only shows your Chrome browser tab). So you will still use the computer to control the feed, and unlike the native mobile apps where I could turn off the device and the stream would keep going, if you were to quit the browser or shutoff the machine the stream to the Chromecast will be killed.

Thank for the excellent explanation, me wants it badly now. :evil:

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2