View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Going to upgrade vid card on MacPro 1,1 - comments welcome 

Post Going to upgrade vid card on MacPro 1,1 - comments welcome
Hi everyone,

I have an old Macpro 1,1 with 4 GB memory and now usually running win 7 32bit. I have a three monitor setup with a gt 630 running 2, and the old gt 7800 running the third monitor. This setup is for iRacing. Right now I am getting 40 - 50 fps when testing, 25 - 35 fps when someone considers joining a session ...

soon I will be getting the GTX 660 from asus and we shall see...

eye candy is definetly out the door with this setup, my goal is to get 70 fps constantly, no interest (atm) for any eye candy. Used to race Granturismo (looks great), but now am totally into iRacing (and do not care about looks anymore since driving is so much more fun).

anybody have advice as to where and how I can optimize the hardware and/or its settings?

looking forward to hearing from you.

mk

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:00 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Going to upgrade vid card on MacPro 1,1 - comments welco
Welcome!

I'm also an iRacer racing on a Mac Pro 1,1. Although I only have one single HD5770, but I only run 1 monitor. I've never tried pumping eyefinity gaming on my Mac Pro, so I'm afraid I won't be too much help here. But Ram might be a good place to start. Game runs great for me with just the one monitor.

How are you enjoying iRacing? It's an addition, been trying to convince some of the people here to join up.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi Nataku, I would not be surprised if we are the only 2 people on this planet using a macpro1,1 in this way...

As I am using win7 32bit, I don't know if increasing ram will be any help. When I go to my system spec display in win7 it tells me I have 4 gig of memory, but in parenthesis it says 1.99 GIG are usable). Is that a win7 restriction or is my ram rubbish?? (When booting OS X 10.7.5 it shows all 4 GIGs)

iRacing is the best !! For years Granturismo on the Playstation, since GT4 / GT5 Prol. seriously with a wheel and pedals and enthusiastic friends. But since trying out a sample subscription for a month of iRacing, I was hooked ! Hardly turn on the Playstation anymore. And on top of it all, I think GT6 sucks, which helped me turn my back on the GT Series.

The card should arrive this week and I will let you know what's going on with framerates etc.

So I guess you are running win7 64bit. Was it a hassle to install it? If you have a link to a guide that worked for you I would appreciate it since I still have an unused license for win7 64bit lying around.

see you on track!
mk

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 am

going to try this...

http://www.richardfrankhuff.com/archives/142-Apple-MacPro1,1-Running-64bit-Windows-7-Under-Boot-Camp..html

... we'll see

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am
Site Admin

The only difficulty I had was burning a Windows 7 disc that was bootable from my Mac Pro. Other than that it was pretty easy. The most common issue you will have is audio because of the drivers. I found that the line out in the rear doesn't work well but the headphone jack in the phone works just fine.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]