View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Recent Spam/Spammer Increase. 
Site Admin

Post Recent Spam/Spammer Increase.
Hello everyone,

Our little home here seems to have gained the attention of a lot of spammers here recently. We are up to 114 users and I’m sure 75% of those are spammer accounts. It would seem that they found a way around the somewhat simple CAPTCHA code we’ve been using to verify new accounts when created. These accounts remain dormant until which time they start blasting the forums with spam threads. Now the good news here is since we force the first 3 posts of a new user to be approved by either a moderator or myself, none of these spam threads have made it to the eyes of our legitimate forum members. Thus you will have to take my word for it that our mods have been working very hard the past 2 weeks to keep this place clear of spam for all of you guys/girls…and Nova ☺

I have also created a new, more advanced setup of CAPTCHA that involves a simple Question and Answer situation that I have worded in a way I do not think bots will be able to discern. This seems to have effectively stopped new spammer accounts from being created.

Now, even though these spammer accounts have been banned permanently once they show themselves, the accounts are still in our system and cause us to have an inaccurate member count (something I would like to retain). This also means that we still have a lot of spammer accounts in our little home that haven’t gone active yet (started spamming). So over the next two week I will be slowly purging our forums of these spammer accounts.

Below are some notes that will help reassure you that your legitimate account will not be deleted…

• Accounts with a post count higher than 0 (zero) will NOT be deleted. If you have at least 1 post this means we have already cleared you as a legit user.

• If for some reason your account has a 0 post count and no obvious information in the profile indicating you are a spammer, I will be going off of the user name. Some spammer accounts have obvious users names.

• If for some reason I mistakenly delete a legit account. Please email me directly and I will gladly reactive your account.

Thank you for your time and patients while these modifications are being made.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am
Site Owner

Post Re: Recent Spam/Spammer Increase.
Glad to see you are hard at work. Nice going ... I had wondered about all those "new accounts" myself.

:handgestures-thumbup:

i7-4790K~4.0GHz - ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark II - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 - Two 512GB Mushkin Reactor~RAID 0 (OS) - One WD 4GB Green (storage) - ASUS Strix GTX970 - Silverstone 1000W PSU - Silverstone Raven v3 - Dell 34" curved 3440x1440 - Win7 Ult 64bit

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]