View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 am

Forum rules

Mac vs. PC battles WILL NOT be tolerated as it interferes with our ability to answer legitimate questions.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
New MacBook Air 
Site Moderator

Post New MacBook Air
I'm just finishing up my first week or work with a MacBook Air. My company purchased it for me last week as I will be supporting an increasing number of Mac users in an AD environment.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 1.8Ghz Quad Core
4GB DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD
13" 1440x900 Display
OSX 10.7 Lion

It's been a couple years since I've used a Mac on a daily basis. Of course I'm running Windows via VMWare Fusion since 95% of the client I support are Windows users. A couple quick opinions on how things are going so far:

PROS - By controlling both hardware and software the laptop is very well integrated. I really like the touch pad and the various guestures that are available to control the software. I feel this type of seemless integration is something you'd never find on a PC. The laptop boots up in less than 15 seconds and I regularly have the battery last me over 6 hours. The solid aluminum frame makes it very sturdy feeling and light weight as you'd expect from a notebook that is less than .7" at it's thickest point. While it is an expensive notebook it's price is comparable to a PC with similiar specs.

CONS - One downside is the software feels a bit cluttered, particulary when comparing Office 2011 Mac and Office 2010 for the PC. It most likely ended up this way because Microsoft was trying to keep with the general theme of other Mac software. Buttons and menus feel a bit too rounded and bubbley to me. Integration with Active Directory still leaves alot to be desired. Apple really needs to step up its efforts here if they ever want to truely break into the enterprise environment. they also need to bring back the 1U Server. There is no way I'm putting any Mac Mini's in a datacenter.

A Reliable Server
A MacBook Air

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 am

Post Re: New MacBook Air
you should really try running it natively in bootcamp. the performance will be a lot better, you'll be able to run all the native 3d programs too since it'll e native enviroment as oppose to VM.

i agree on the pros. unfortunately it's something that most people won't understand until they own one. i know i didn't until i owned one. the design that went into the macbook product line is just nothing short of amazing. the gesture thing, touch pad, chicklet keyboard, now every PC manufacture are trying to keep up and follow apple's design standard.

although OSX is a much more complete package as an OS, it comes with pretty much everything you'll need in an OS to do most things as oppose to Windows, which requires you to install 3rd party softwares. however, as far as overall OS throughput goes, i still prefer windows better. i know for the same task, i get things done faster in a windows than OSX, partly due to the much more organized windows UI.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 am
Site Moderator

The reason I use Fusion instead of Bootcamp is the seemless transition between the two...I can go back and forth between Windows and OSX. I'm not doing anything 3D in Windows and that is the only place virtualization falls short. As far as processor and memory performance it's the exact same as if it were native.

Like you I am much faster finding my way around Windows but my Apple skillset is growing pretty fast. My wife has a MacBook so some features like AirDrop are very convenient.

A Reliable Server
A MacBook Air

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 am

just curios why fusion over parrallels?

it comes to mind since i had a customer call today trying to run a program in parrallels, which we don't support anyway. We don't even support our software on a mac running windows via bootcamp, which I don't understand. to me that's like telling someone we don't support a program on their windows machine dual booting linux because they use grub

I do have to agree with everything else though, I personally like osx, and find it easy to use. lots of people ask me how i manage to work with it, the only response i can find as to how easy it is to pick up, use, learn, whatever, is think dumb, and work dumber. it really is an OS geared to users

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]