View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
the fish is back 

the fish is back
say hello to mr fishy

waiting on the last stage of the install of the windows 8.1 preview. not sure if i'll like it any better, but we'll see

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am
Site Moderator

Post Re: the fish is back
Cool.....hello stlouis's fishy

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator

I find it to be worse, don't like that they're stepping backwards just to try to appease customers.

I especially hate all the folders it shows in "This PC" (yes Computer/My Computer naming is gone). Again, another stupid change.

On the other hand, Server 2012 R2 Essentials is fucking amazing. Absolutely the easiest solution to setup and run a business-ready server. Perfect for home usage too, I could see this becoming the new "Windows Home Server". Creates a domain, VPN and browser-based access all for you. The "connector" installs effortlessly and configures your computer automatically to join said domain along with setting up the VPN connection for you. The web-interface gives you something similar to SkyDrive to access all your files along with being able to RDP into your machine.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

im running the datacenter edition of 2012, i suppose i could have just used standard since the real benefit to the data center edition is the number of hyper-v guests with the same license, but server 2012 is great, core + server manager install, resource usage for the OS itself is so low, it's beautiful, and the server manager makes it so easy to manage multiple servers without having to log into them directly.

but this windows 8 business, i still don't care to the ui, everything seems to be one more click away, I find it counter intuitive. sure there's a start button now, but still not a start menu. I keep seeing it compared to Mac OS' full screen launcher, and i still dock my apps folder to avoid the launchpad there too.

everything is geared for tablets, because of all the hype for tablets. Tablets are toys, I can't be anywhere near as productive on a tablet, can't do any real graphics design on one (unless your talking wacom), typing on touch screens sucks imo. i dunno, most of what i do is done quicker on a desktop, and not just because of the faster hardware

I'm still exploring changes in 8.1 but so far, i could care less. I like windows 8 better in parallels on my hackintosh/macbook because i can have a folder on my dock for my windows apps and don't have to look at the start screen, and natively strip components from it to save resources on the vm

maybe i'm just refusing change, but meh

EDIT//

i've been dickering around more, and finally noticed the "This PC" JD was talking about, at least you can rename it back to computer if you like, but yeah, it's dumb.

I also find it redundant to have your desktop, downloads, and other folders listed in "This PC", especially when desktop and downloads are under favorites in the sidebar as well, it just looks messy. Plus if you prefer to display the libraries, than it's even messier.

Although, If you have the show libraries disabled, which is is by default, when you open explorer, it defaults to "This PC" which I actually find convenient as I tend to use network drives A LOT, and this way you have all your documents and personal folders, plus drives and network drives right at the root location, which is nice, though I'd have to get used to it, but I see the use in it for sure

I really fucking hate the ribbon on the folder windows, at least New folder is on the quick access toolbar, but it's a tiny little thing, and getting to folder options is a slight chore now, i don't see the use for all the extra ribbon buttons, Windows 7 had the explorer window setup right if you ask me, windows 8 just brings unnecessary complications

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]