View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Service registration issue 
Site Moderator

Post Service registration issue
I just did a fresh install of W7 and was going through the motions of windows updates and got as far as Service Pack 1 and it installed and now anytime I try and run Windows update it just runs forever. I did a troubleshoot and its giving me "Service registration is missing or corrupt".
For the love of pete!

A side note: Windows is not recognizing my ZxR card either. But thats another horror story.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator

Post Re: Service registration issue
...and just after posting this and waiting some 45 mins on windows update it now shows 212 important updates available...47 optional. So here goes.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm
Profile ICQ

I always had problems with service pack 1 in win 7. You can't explain that. Some times it will go through, and sometimes it would revert back once restarted. It even would fail during the update.

Question, why not win 10? To afraid of big brother?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:47 pm
Site Moderator

dog2525 wrote:
I always had problems with service pack 1 in win 7. You can't explain that. Some times it will go through, and sometimes it would revert back once restarted. It even would fail during the update.

After several hours and hundreds (literally) of updates its finally running smoothly and i was able to install my SB software as a result.

As for W10, I did the install and ran it a few days but I decided to do start over and do a reinstall of W8 ...then W10 due to the fact it was all mucked up with various garbage from my granddaughter playing on it so a refresh was due.
So why did I install w7? Glad you ask.
I did the W8 install, all went well, then i did the various windows updates prior to W8.1. Then came 8.1 and it installed as well. After getting 8.1 installed windows update no longer would find updates and i kept getting errors. Keep in kind i have a legit full copy of W8 pro and have done a reinstall before with no issues.
So i decide to check my product key amd it said "not available "
Then i noticed windows was not activated. Maybe im missing something but can you not recieve updates if windows is not activated? I assumed it was activated since updates were being installed. So i called Microsoft and he asked me for the code and he tells me its only good for an upgrade. Not a full install. I dont understand. So I've used it for just that twice before. I purchased it retail when it was released. How did it turn into an upgrade only? He had no answer and was quick to get me off the phone. Told me to call back during the day. So here i am with a useless W8 pro disk(s).
Thats why i had to install W7. However i can still get W10.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:16 pm
Profile ICQ

Comixion wrote:
dog2525 wrote:

After several hours and hundreds (literally) of updates its finally running smoothly and i was able to install my SB software as a result.

As for W10, I did the install and ran it a few days but I decided to do start over and do a reinstall of W8 ...then W10 due to the fact it was all mucked up with various garbage from my granddaughter playing on it so a refresh was due.
I did the W8 install, all went well, then i did the various windows updates prior to W8.1. Then came 8.1 and it installed as well. After getting 8.1 installed windows update no longer would find updates and i kept getting errors. Keep in kind i have a legit full copy of W8 pro and have done a reinstall before with no issues.
Then i noticed windows was not activated. Maybe im missing something but can you not recieve updates if windows is not activated? I assumed it was activated since updates were being installed. So i called Microsoft and he asked me for the code and he tells me its only good for an upgrade. Not a full install. I dont understand. So I've used it for just that twice before. I purchased it retail when it was released. How did it turn into an upgrade only? He had no answer and was quick to get me off the phone. Told me to call back during the day. So here i am with a useless W8 pro disk(s).

Did you run win10 on the same install as windows 8? Correct me if I"m wrong, but once you upgrade it converts your cd key to a win10 one. Non the less, I would call back and get them to fix it.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 pm
Site Moderator

dog2525 wrote:
Comixion wrote:
dog2525 wrote:

Did you run win10 on the same install as windows 8? Correct me if I"m wrong, but once you upgrade it converts your cd key to a win10 one. Non the less, I would call back and get them to fix it.

Yes I did. And I thought that as well but had no idea it could be so. How dare they. I'll call tomorrow during business hours to speak with someone who speaks english.
:snooty:

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:00 pm
Profile ICQ

I had no issues with the Win10 upgrade....mind you, I chose the Not keep anything option

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm been rocking it in a vm for a few days now. This is a clean copy I got through school. not sure if I'm ready to upgrade my win 8 install.

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]