View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Setting Up a Server 

Post Setting Up a Server
Hey Guys, long time no talk, well i have question, my boss wants me to setup a file server at his house, so that he can file share files over the net, what we got currently is a FIOS 30/30 connection, a pretty nice server, and about 4 TB of storage, he wants be able to put up CAD drawings, and other files, so that everyone in the company can access, and edit files, its gonna be running Windows Server 2008 or 2010, not sure yet, i will find out tomorrow.

Now on to my question, what do i need to do to set up some sort of FTP access to this server online, i have been out of the loop on these things, and im gonna need some help lol. To my understanding is that the network is on a Verizon FIOS Modem/Router thing, and he has a static IP, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, thanks,

R

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 pm
Site Moderator

Post Re: Setting Up a Server
Interesting...

Typically this would be at the business office itself. Definitely run Windows Server 2008 R2 (there is no 2010) as it's based on Windows 7. Plain jane 2008 is based on Vista. Server itself has a built in web and FTP server which you can setup fairly easily. You'll probably only need the FTP portion. Setup user accounts for everyone and you should be set. Granted, like I said, this should be at the business itself so that it would be attached to Active Directory and you wouldn't need to make additional user accounts. You could probably hook back into the AD though from his home, but that will probably be a bit tricky to setup.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 am

jdrom wrote:
You could probably hook back into the AD though from his home, but that will probably be a bit tricky to setup.

and openvpn bridge could solve this. at the very least, you could do it with a pair not too expensive routers if you want to keep the cost low, but better hardware would make a better solution

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:05 am

Hey guys, well i got server running, its running Server 2008, since thats the only license my boss has, i tried using FTP, and the IIS v6 (i think thats what its called) of the FTP server worked fine, but i wanted add some authorization on it, so i found out that i needed to load the v7 or something like that for FTP. I did that, and now the ftp site isnt working, not sure what im doing wrong. This is also a stand alone server on a fios connection at my bosses' house, they just want to use that Remote Desktop thing, i think its called Terminal Server on 2008, and i have no idea what to do there lol, so we dont have an AD for user accounts, not sure what do about that for user account, sorry this prolly doesnt make any sense, just got back from Vegas lol.

thanks

R

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Hey guys, well i got the FTP server working internally only in the local network, but i cant see, to access it through the internet. I set up DynDNS account, and set it up on the router (verizon fios router/modem), so the external ip and the dyndns name are synced, and it works because im able to vnc from it. Now my issue is, i cant seem to access the ftp site through the dns name, or the external ip. I did forward port 21 for the FTP server for the Server ip, and ive looked everywhere for a solution and cant figure it out, i think there is an issue with the routers firewall, but it shouldve fixed it through port forward. Im also trying to figure out all the Remote Desktop shenanigans, lol sorry im such a newb a these server things, but how can i remote to the server, when its on a different domain, Again this is just stand alone server on a fios connection, so there is not active domain or anything, or is there something i need to configure.

Thanks,

Richard

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Hey Guys, well i finally got this thing up, and i am able to access the FTP and RDP on the internet. Now heres another issue im having, and im not sure how to solve it. This Machine has Windows Small Business Server 2008. which i believe its based off the vista type OS, i know there is a Windows Server 2008 R2 which is based off of windows 7. The issue im having is that, im trying to RDP with more than 2 users. From searching this issue everything keeps referencing to Remote Desktop Manager Role, which is something on R2 and not 2008. In 2008 all i have is Terminal Services. how here a pic of the licenses we have and all software. Under Server applications, i tried all of those on the machine, and all of them seem to be some sort of Application Remote hosting, all we want is 3 user RDP lol,

thanks

img of the software

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 am
Site Moderator

It's quite possible SBS doesn't allow more than 2 RDP sessions. It makes sense really, since it's only intended for SMALL businesses where you'll likely only have a single administrator.

There is no reason to have 3 people logged into a server IMO and typically goes against best practices.

If users are RDP'ing to access a certain application, then you should look into utilizing these Remote Apps licenses you have to do that. Basically uses RDP to run only a single program on the server. All the user has access to is that program and has no taskbar or any interaction with the underlying SBS OS. Much more secure, and it's likely you have the licenses for this.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]