View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Headphone talk 

Post Headphone talk
that means you Comixon

in my recent journey to build a good surround sond headphone gaming system. i ventured into the audiophile headphone world. boy was i in for a shock. unlike professional speaker world, the headphone world is a whole different animal.

so i acquired a Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphone. it's well regarded as the best value entry level Audiophile headphone that has the widest soundstage and best suited for gaming. it retails for $160, but of course i got it on amazon for $90. sure enough. i started using it, and the detail and enormous size of its soundstage put all headphones i've listened to in the past to shame. i can hear instruments and able to pin point the position of those instrument, it's like listening to all my mp3's for the first time. i say this because, due to its enormous sound stage, and pin point accuracy, BF3 now is a different animal. i can hear people reloading, or hear the bullet cap drop, and knowing your surrounding with great detail.

now the downside. my journey to discovery into the high end audiophile headphone world has opened up a whole can of worms. now that i had a taste of the ATH AD700, it's leaving me wanting more. The AD700 isn't perfect. it has an enormous soundstage, and great high, and mids. but the low end bass is very shy, and lacking. i am not a cray bass head but i like my bass to be there. the AD700's bass is high quality, with solid punch, but not enough weight, which leaves me craving more. i really really really really love the sound signature of its mid and high and best of all it's enormous sound stage, and dont' want to to sacrifice that for bass. so i ordered another pair of Audio Technica ATH AD900. it's the big brother of AD700. it's suppose to retain all the sound signature of AD700 but with more bass and mid. it was a hard decision, and i am going to feel guilty for the rest of the year because this headphone retails for $300, although i was able to find a refurbished one on amazon for $169. but still, that's twice more expensive than the AD700 i just bought.

the game plan is to test the AD900 and if i like it THAT MUCH better, i'll return the AD700, thanks to amazon's return policy. don't get me wrong, the AD700 is a godsend, but AD900 is suppose to perfect what the AD700 lacks on the low end.

so... what kind of headphones have you all used.

i mean who knew there's more to upgrading than CPUs, and graphic cards.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Last edited by BAM! on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 am

Post Re: what headphones do you all have
There's no such thing as perfect. You'll be digging yourself in a hole trying to find the ultimate sound device. With that said, I still use a set of harman kardon speakers that came with our first ever dell computer from '01. Also use a set of Sennheiser CX300II headphones my friend gave me for my birthday last year.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:10 pm

i have a set of Sennheiser CX300 the original (not CXII), for nearly 6 years now and that beast has kept up with me all those years through all the travels and beating. it's definitely a decent set of ear phones for everyday use.

i do agree with the "perfect" sound device tho, i mean wouldn't it be nice if our headphones or speakers all have a complete flat neutral response curve, but realistically that'll never happen, there''ll always be a hole somewhere.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm
Site Moderator

Sennheiser HD280 . And I love the sound quality and comfort. However Im ready to.try some in ear headphones such as the CX300 you mentioned or something else in the way of Sennheiser. I have just recently been using my Bose companion 3 speakers but I cant always use them. Plus I dont get the pure sound I want lile you do with headphones.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 am
Profile ICQ

you should try a pair of open back headphone. i actually almost pulled the trigger on a HD 280 pro while comparing it with the AD700. but AD700 eventually won me due to its open back nature and wide sound stage. if you use your headphone to game a lot, you should try a pair of open back headphone, since it allows the sound wave to escape and not trapped inside the cup, creating more natural and wider sounding environment. i did a whole tone of research on what's best for gaming, and it was between the Sennheiser PC360, and the Audio Technica ATH AD700. most people say PC360 have a stronger base, but AD700 is best for FPS due to its famed wide soundstage that you're able to pin point directional sound and isolating sound signals.

the CX300 is a great set of in-ear earphone that's great for travel and on the go, it isolates out most of the environmental sound and has a great bass, however it's missing the high end details. but when you're traveling and on the go, those details aren't exactly critical, since you really just want to drone out the surrounding and isolate yourself from your environment.

i really reconmmand you try a pair of AD700. it really is amazing for gaming. you might find it shy on the bass for music, which i do. i am currently using a bit of eq to bump the 30hz, 60hz, and 125hz accordingly to create more volume in the bass.

but do a search around for AD700, you'll find that a lot of gamers find it to be THE headphone for gaming. Since its price point is so affordable. the price/performance ratio really is amazing, since you're getting a lot of audiophile grade performance for a merely $80 from amazon. but if you really want to finish it off with a punchier bass while keeping the same performance of AD700, i think most gamers who have AD700 recommand the AD900, it's twice the money, which puts a lot of people's budget out of range.

i shall update you guys on what i think about the AD900 when i get it. :) because i will keep one and return the other.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 am

not that any of you care... but i just got the AD900 in the mail today. i'll be doing lots of burn-in and testing to see if i like it better than the AD700. but it's gonna have to be A LOT better for me to justify twice the price increase. this headphone suppose to have a 200hr burn-in time... fun... :(

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 pm

i dont know why i keep updating this thread. seems like none of you care much about it.

but none the less, here's my thought on the AD900 that i wrote on Amazon

i really TRIED to like this headphone but just really couldn't even after 150+ hours of break-in. i gave it two stars because three is considered "good". i really don't think it's QUITE there yet. i believe the engineers tried too hard to bring out the mid that the end result is "in your face" mid that causes fatigue and overpowers the low range.

Sound:
the mid is WAYYYY too forward. it is great and absolutely outshines the AD700 in classical and instrumental type of music, because it REALLY brings out the instruments and puts you right on the stage with the band, as oppose to in front of the band with the AD700. However, this is only good for classical and instrumental type of tracks. for everything else, it just fatigues you and pierces through your ears like jousting. and due to this much brightness and forwardness, it overshadows the low end. the phones don't have a very powerful low end to begin with, the overly bright mid just overshadows whatever it's left of the low. for Rock, pop, jazz, hip-hop, trance, and techno, the AD900 just sounds way too thin and lack body, it's like listening to skeleton. it will sound boring to you and fatiguing. if i only listen to classical and instrumental, i would pick the AD900 in a heart beat, but since i listen to many genere, this is NOT the headphone for me.

for gaming, this headphone is a godsend. the bright mid really brings out the best of gaming by putting you right in the environment. if AD700 is a great headphone for gaming, AD900 put you in the game that won't even know you're wearing a headphone. it makes AD700 feel like you're listening through a helmet in comparison. the detail separation and ambient sound really brings games to life. you can hear water drops like it's really next to you in BF3. people will think you're cheating because you will hear everything around you.

it was a hard decision to let go for me consider i game a lot. but a headphone that's only good for gaming, classical, and instrumental isn't the headphone for me.

eq:
although the AD900 responds very well to equalization. but even adding 10db to 30hz, 5db to 60hz, bass still sounds weak. if you have a very dynamic track, you will hear the bass well, however, anything it hits a higher note, like in the mid range, your ear will bleed.

i really tried to like this headphone, and for a while i really did for certain tasks like gaming and classical. even after 150+ hours of burn-in, although it did smooth out the mid and brought out the bass by a little bit, however, it's just still not enough to tame down the brightness and bring out the bass. all this is through a JRC 4580 op amp which is known for its slight warmness coloration.

my advice is. this is a great headphone for classical, instrumental, and gaming only headphone. for the rest the purposes, i really cannot convince myself to keep it, consider its price. the AD700 is a much better all around headphone overall. although it can't beat the AD900 in classical and game, it does them VERY well.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

and here's my review on the AD700:

the ATH AD700 is the perfect gateway drug into the audiophile world if you're not careful. i only stumbled onto this headphone while building a surround sound capable headphone gaming rig. once i had a taste of AD700, the rest is just snowballing.

sound quality:
if you never listened to a good set of audiophile (none average consumer headphone), you're in for a treat. the instrument separate and enormous soundstage are the two biggest highlights of AD700. don't let the dorky purple fool you. with a good soundcard or good source, the AD700 will bring you to the concert. it's like listening to all my music collection again for the first time with this headphone. you will hear all the instruments that you never knew was there. the main theme track for Schindler's List, i actually was able to hear the violinist breathing, no kidding. the headphone puts you right in front of the stage with the band. Mid frequency is very clear, but not forward. some might consider a bit lay back compare to K701 or AD900. but its mid range is perfect for a relaxing music session that does NOT sacrifice clarity. the high treble is very present but not fatiguing. you can hear all the high notes in stunning clarity without being sibilant. however, the bass is its weakest link. it is there, but not at the volume that most average consumer are accustom to. none the less, your ears will adjust to it over time, not to mention after 72 hours of burn-in the bass becomes more weighty and present.

Music Genre:
the AD700 is a great "almost" all round headphone for many types of genre. it is great for Classical and instrumental type of music due to its detailed instrument separate and large soundstage. it is also great for Rock/Pop/Country and Jazz due to its laid back, and well balanced Mid. it works for some trance and techno depending on the song. but due to lack of Bass, tracks with heavy emphasis on bass will sound boring.

EQ:
the headphones responds extremely well to equalization. the perfect sweet spot to compensate for the slight lack of bass is by adding 5~10db to 30hz, 3~5db to 60hz, and 2~3db to 125hz. after that, this headphone is perfect in bass.

some might consider AD700 a bit too laid back or recessed on the Mid frequency, i partially agree. don't get me wrong, the mid is great and NOT muffled or muddy AT ALL. it's just comparing to some other mid range phones, it seems recessed in comparison. i also tried a pair of AD900 but the mid is just way too bright that casuses fatigue. i think if AD700 is a few dbs louder in the mid, it'll be an absolute winner.

the AD700 outshines many competition in the higher price range like DT770 and makes other mid range audiophile phones look shameful in comparison. for its current price, the AD700 really is a best bang for the buck for the headphone century. it possess 85% of all that high end audiophile phones offer in the $600~$800 range for the price of two figure.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:01 pm

i'll be trying a pair of Sennheiser HD598 next, once the AD900 is refunded.

it's $249, but hey.... we spend more on a vid card anyway. :)

i think i just fond another hobby. :D

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm
Site Moderator

BAM! wrote:
i'll be trying a pair of Sennheiser HD598 next, once the AD900 is refunded.

it's $249, but hey.... we spend more on a vid card anyway. :)

i think i just fond another hobby. :D

haha....I just happen to have been looking at those same ones (598) for the past 2 months but afraid to pull the trigger. I think they look sharp. But wondering if they feel like the HD555s. The cup design and material looks the same.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:46 pm
Profile ICQ

from what i heard. they're wayy better than the 555, or the 558, or the 595.

555 - good frequency response but lack sound stage
558 - added the sound stage but lacks high end compare to 595 and 598.
595 - good sound stage good bass but less prominent on the mid compare to 598.
598 - LARGEST sound stage of all 5XX with neutral response.

i am now an active member of Head-fi. i've been doing nothing but reading about headphones this past month and analyzing graphs. lol

a lot of people apparently mistaken 598 as a rebadged 595 or 558. although they share the same driver internal, but the construction of the driver is different, so is the housing and the design of the grill, which all lead to better and improved sound. 598 really "supposedly" , since i haven't owned one yet, is miles apart from all its 5XX siblings. it's actually closer to its 6XX class, more closer to 650 than any o fthe 5XX family, which makes it ideal bang for the buck.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 pm

here's a A/B comparison of all three
http://www.headfonia.com/old-and-new-hd555-hd558-hd598/

i honestly don't think gamers should ever use 555 consider its lacking in sound stage. sound stage is one of the most important element of headphone for gaming purpose. you should really prioritize it on the top.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

just ordered a pair of Senns HD598. will update on how it turns out. :)

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm

below is my review of the HD598 after about a month of continuous using.

i was looking for a pair of fons that has better mid than my ATH AD700, but not as bright and forward as ATHD AD900. HD598 fits the spot perfectly. not only that, the soundstage is also much more accurate than AD700, and complets with a better bass extension.

Sound:
awesome and accurate soundstage presentation. works really well with warm DAC/AMP combo. however, might be a bit too bright on DAC/AMPs that emphasis's too much on the treble or mid. the soundstage is extremely accurate that it gives more depth and distance attenuation to the recording. even better than my AD700. in comparison to AD700's soundstage, the AD700 definitely sounds wider, but lacks frontal and rear depth. the resolution of soundstage is also better with the HD598. the Bass is also accurate but not overpowering. Treble is just right without being too bright. if you have a brighter source like the Fiio E17 with the Wolfson WM8740 DAC, it'll sound a bit bright and dry. but if you have a warmer source like the Asahi AK4396 or the JRC4580 opamp it can sound great, lush, and generous. the headphone will bring out the flaws in most bad recordings. most recordings with high compression and poorly mastered can demonstrate clipping and compression artifact easily with this headphone. on great recordings with great soundstage like many of the well recorded classical music will bring out tears in your eyes. check out "classicals that make you go wow" playlist on spotify. the Mid is also one of the biggest highlight of this headphone aside from the great soundstage. the mid is forward and generous, without being hazy. it's very clear without being too bright or nasal. the headphone works extremely well with well recorded classical, pop, Jazz, and SOME techno house. unless there is a track that emphasizes heavily on drums throughout, this headphone will be a good all-rounder for most. i can't emphasize enough on the awesome soundstage. on one particular track of jazz, i was able to hear the reflected sound from a sax coming from one opposite end of the room, it just shows how detailed the soundstage really is. although the soundstage is incredibly wide and detailed, it doesn't feel as Airy as you would get from a typical Audio Technica headphone.

i wouldn't worry too much about running this fone without an separate amp. i find the sonic punch is well presented even on portable sources. however, it does spike to 250ohm at around 100hz.

Comfort:
VERY comfortable. i typically wear it for hours and hours straight, sometimes up to 8 hours straight without fatigue. it's VERY light weight.

Design:
feels like you're driving a Porsche. love the wood trim accent.

Gaming:
This is one area where it's becoming more popular. i highly recommend this headphone for gaming. i even would recommend it over the well popular AD700. the issue with AD700, although a great gaming headphone, is that its mid is recessed and hazy in comparison to the HD598. if you've never heard the HD598, and have the AD700, you probably won't know the different i am talking about, and likely won't care. but once you tried the HD598, it's hands down no comparison. more clear sound presentation, with better depth, attenuation, resolution. better soundstage, although not as Airy as AD700. distance perfection is also better. but again, this headphone costs more than twice, sometimes three times the price of the AD700. so if you can afford it. i am running the HD598, and AD700 through an Astro Mixamp (only when gaming).

Overall:
i would highly recommend this Mid-Fi headphone if you have a decent source. it sucks that you'll spot all the flaws in many bad recordings, but on well mastered recordings will bring tears to your eyes. is it worth the current amazon price? YES!.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:56 pm
Site Moderator

Its good.to hear they are comfortable. That's a must when gaming for ...ahem......hours on end. And if they sound anywhere near as good as the 280s that's a plus.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am
Profile ICQ

although i've never had the 280's, but i can almost guarantee you it'll sound dramatically better. the 280 is a closed can, very little to none soundstage, on top of that, just by looking at the frequency response graph, the 280 is missing a whole lot of mid range and high end compare to the 598. although it's a popular headphone, but almost all will agree the 598 will trump the 280 in every category. check out Headphone.com's expert review, and Head-fi.com.

i think it's time for you to upgrade old man.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm
Site Moderator

Can we have a pic of them on your noggin.? I wanna make sure I will look cool.wearing them. ;)

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 am
Profile ICQ

NO!.. i will not fall for your trickery.

i will not let you plaster my game face all over the internet.!!

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 am
Site Moderator

BAM! wrote:
NO!.. i will not fall for your trickery.

i will not let you plaster my game face all over the internet.!!

But you have me all.wrong. I would not do that. I just wanted to make a BF3 trolling video for YouTube is all.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 am
Profile ICQ

seriously ol man.. get it.. it'll make you wonder why all these years you've been swearing by the 280 while the 598 is like night and day better.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next