View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Where AMD Failed ... 
Site Owner

Post Where AMD Failed ...
An interesting quick read ... right HERE

I just wish that AMD could get back on track so CPU prices can come down! ;)

i7-4790K~4.0GHz - ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark II - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 - Two 512GB Mushkin Reactor~RAID 0 (OS) - One WD 4GB Green (storage) - ASUS Strix GTX970 - Silverstone 1000W PSU - Silverstone Raven v3 - Dell 34" curved 3440x1440 - Win7 Ult 64bit

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Post Re: Where AMD Failed ...
AMD's new CEO is supposed to be presenting the future direction of AMD today. I'm interested to see what he has to say and how he is going to direct the company. I'm a little worried about any changes to their focus on graphics cards and x86 processors.

At the same time there seems to be something horribly wrong with the efficiency of desktop software. I've played games on my Android tablet that look extremely good and they can do it with a dual core 1Ghz ARM processor and nVidia's integrated graphics core. This hardware is far inferior to a Sandybridge processor and Fermi, yet it gives you quite a bit of visuals. I read yesterday that the next generation xBox may sport an ARM processor.

The PC as we know it seems to have lost its way as far as being an entertainment device. I love hardware, and I love computer gaming, so I'm hesitant to see any changes to the current infrastructure, but something has to give.

A Reliable Server
A MacBook Air

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 am
Site Owner

Well said David. I have wondered if the PC market would ever regain some of its allure or magnificence when in terms of gaming, nothing else came close to it. Now, as 99% of games that come to the PC are ported console games, it leaves me pondering if the PC is REALLY on its way out.

Remember when we used to overclock that AMD Athlon, coupled with an nVidia video card and played Quake II? No console game ever could beat that! :geek:

i7-4790K~4.0GHz - ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark II - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600 - Two 512GB Mushkin Reactor~RAID 0 (OS) - One WD 4GB Green (storage) - ASUS Strix GTX970 - Silverstone 1000W PSU - Silverstone Raven v3 - Dell 34" curved 3440x1440 - Win7 Ult 64bit

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

I think their main problem is this (another link. No sane company would ever upgrade to AMD with that kind of power consumption. As for the enthusiasts, I don't really think they affect that much of the market, but I could be wrong (I mainly say this because most games these days don't really push 4 year old CPU's to their limits, let alone the newer ones).

Avid6eek wrote:
At the same time there seems to be something horribly wrong with the efficiency of desktop software. I've played games on my Android tablet that look extremely good and they can do it with a dual core 1Ghz ARM processor and nVidia's integrated graphics core. This hardware is far inferior to a Sandybridge processor and Fermi, yet it gives you quite a bit of visuals. I read yesterday that the next generation xBox may sport an ARM processor.

The PC as we know it seems to have lost its way as far as being an entertainment device. I love hardware, and I love computer gaming, so I'm hesitant to see any changes to the current infrastructure, but something has to give.

This is probably because when I was in school, we were told time and time again not to focus on efficiency, but just to make it work. In fact, efficiency was probably the least focused topic. I don't really think this is the fault of the people who program or the schools who teach it, but the businesses who want everything done quick and cheap. Until we hit a wall with hardware, I don't think things will get better, but worse.

AKHandyman wrote:
Well said David. I have wondered if the PC market would ever regain some of its allure or magnificence when in terms of gaming, nothing else came close to it. Now, as 99% of games that come to the PC are ported console games, it leaves me pondering if the PC is REALLY on its way out.

Remember when we used to overclock that AMD Athlon, coupled with an nVidia video card and played Quake II? No console game ever could beat that! :geek:

PC has been "dying" for decades. The problem (in my opinion) is that PC fans are far easier to piss off and harder to please. With consoles, people sell garbage games left and right and still make millions. As for the PC market dying game wise, a lot of indie companies are popping up and not only making huge profits but also doing an amazing job. Look at the Witcher 2, made by a small company in Poland, but the graphics are amazing and the game sold like hotcakes. The game has sold close to 1 million copies and has yet to be released on the consoles. Then there's minecraft, trine, HoN, LoL, Torchlight and not to mention companies like valve and blizzard which are thriving.

The demand is there, it's just that people won't buy garbage and most of the really good console companies were making PC games a few years ago. We're just experiencing a little bit of "emptiness" until new companies come in to fill the void left by the old ones.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 pm
Site Moderator

Also important to note....2011 is the first year that no new high end graphics processor has been launched. ATI/nVidia used to be on a 6 month tick/tock cycle that peaked between the the GeForce 3 and GeForce 7. Ever since then things have been slowing down rapidly and it looks to continue. Boooo!

:evil:

A Reliable Server
A MacBook Air

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am
Site Moderator

Avid6eek wrote:
Also important to note....2011 is the first year that no new high end graphics processor has been launched. ATI/nVidia used to be on a 6 month tick/tock cycle that peaked between the the GeForce 3 and GeForce 7. Ever since then things have been slowing down rapidly and it looks to continue. Boooo!

:evil:

That explains my depression.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:24 pm
Profile ICQ

it seems AMD has turned into the old Intel that they keep extending the length of their pipeline to gain performance. me not liking it at all.

recent Skyrim performance review also revealed that their single core performance per clock is about half of what intel's counter part delivers. i remember it used to be the other way around back in the socket A days.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]