View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Ivy Bridge - Fail 
Site Moderator

Post Ivy Bridge - Fail
Ivy Bridge...so much potential, gone. It seems like Intel sabotaged IB from the get go to further sales of their high end platform. Any opinions on this?

Intel's excuse as to why the overclocking potential is limited doesn't hold water to me. Their official explanation is "higher thermal densities" because you are putting the same number of cores in a smaller area. If this was the case it would have happened to every process shrink. What is new all of a sudden at 22nm? In addition to the shrink we've got Intel's much talked about 3D Transistor. They then go a step further and use a crappy TIM under the IHS instead of solder. They need to rename the Integrated Heat Spreader to a CPU Die Protector, because it is no longer a heat spreader. It's more of a heat trapper.

The delay of Ivy Bridge is the only thing that has me holding out hope that Intel isn't trying to fuck us on purpose. Maybe they are having some issues with the 22nm process. Their official stance is they aren't, but I guess time will tell.

With IB botched, I'm moving to SB-E. Their strategy worked...they are now sucking even more money out of me.

/rant

A Reliable Server
A MacBook Air

Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 am

Post Re: Ivy Bridge - Fail
from what i gathered, it seems to have more to do with the technology shift to 3d transistor than anything else. 3d transistor is still a new technology and IB seems to be the ginny pig of it all. being the 1st gen of a new technology, it seems there's more thermal leakage in this new technology than previous proven and tried conventional 2d transistor.

the whole TIM heatspreader thing is just not helping, and i can't explain why they went the route they did. at least i can't find a reason to defend that one.

honestly i have faith in the 3d transistor technology as a whole, regardless of brand/manufacture. i think in a few iterations we should see a lot less thermal leakage and able to achieve lower power consumption with higher clocks.

Crucial M4 SSD 512
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Thu May 03, 2012 11:52 am
Site Moderator

BAM! wrote:
the whole TIM heatspreader thing is just not helping, and i can't explain why they went the route they did. at least i can't find a reason to defend that one.

To minimize the bottom line of course. It's all about profit these days!

If and when Ivy-E comes out, I'd imagine they'd solder it and watch it overclock like a champ ;) I think they're just forcefully dividing their markets. Anything "non-extreme" will now be geared towards the regular big-box consumer who doesn't care about tweaking this and that. For us, we'll be stuck dropping thousands into their "extreme" platforms to achieve things we used to with "cheap" platforms.

It's sad really, but I think Intel finally caught on that they were loosing money by how well their low-end chips OC'd.

Coolermaster Cosmos II | XSPC EX360 + RX240 | Corsair RM850i

Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Well I'm still using and loving my i7's so when an Octo core comes out and that actually works right and well, then let me know.. I ain't upgrading until one does!!

Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]